Typography, Illustration of books, Book collecting, Bibliography, Printmaking, creating with the arts, Etching, Lithography, Engraving
The Colophon was a limited edition quarterly journal begun late in 1929 and continuing in various forms until 1950. The journal was created by Elmer Adler, founder of Pynson Printers in New York. His goal was to have printers from around the world contribute articles using their choice of papers, typography, and illustrations.
Some articles comment on a current / historical issue related to printing, publishing, or art. Others were intended to themselves be an example of printing or a work of art. Typically, issues included a range of styles, typography, and papers. Many times, these included rare or experimental approaches not typically seen in mainstream publications. Each issue also included an original piece of graphic art (e.g. etching, lithography, or engraving), some of which were signed by the artist.
The original Colophon (this series) ran from February 1930-March 1935 (vol. 1, part 1 – vol. 5, part 20). The New Series ran from Summer 1935-Autumn 1938 (vol. 1, no. 1 – vol. 3, no. 4). The New Graphic Series continued later, running from March 1939-February 1940 (vol. 1, no. 1 – vol. 1, no. 4). A later publication, the New Colophon was a successor to this serial, and ran from January 1848-1950 (vol. 1, part 1 – vol. 3).
Center Holdings Include:
Part 9 - February 1932
Part 10 - May 1932
Part 11 - September 1932
Part 12 - December 1932